Hi! Sorry I've been such a slacker in getting this post up. We've actually been staying very busy lately...mainly with sick children. All three of the girls got some kind of virus and it went around twice so we were dealing with this for two weeks. Thanks for those of you lifting us up during this time.
We are doing well, and still enjoying our new home. The girls are still enjoying school and learning more French all the time. We are going steady in our language study. I'm proud to say I had my first REAL conversation with a cab driver today when I took the girls to the store.
We also experienced our first dust storm this week. I understand that it was a mild one, so I'm not looking forward to the "not" mild ones. It was something....we had to completely shut up the house to try to keep dust from coming in. I did take a video, but it didn't do it justice, so I'm going to wait for a good one to come.
So, we had to go on a visa run ( leave the country to get our passports stamped while we are waiting for residency). We went to a lovely city called Bremen, Germany. It's on the northern coast of Germany on the North Sea. Needless to say, the weather was freezing (literally) with blowing rain...but we had a great time anyway. So I'm posting pics of our trip (and a few random things, as usual). These pics are of the town and of the incredible ice sculpture display we went visited. The building that held this display was kept at -8 degrees....it was very cold....in fact, I've never been that cold in my life. Well, hope you enjoy our pics!
This was at the entrance of the ice display. The whole display was based on Grimm's Fairy Tales.

This was one of the few castles.

This was a slide inside the "Hansel & Gretel" house. It was made totally of ice....Carys was the only one brave (and crazy) enough to do it...a little cold on the bum.

Entering the "Hansel & Gretel" witch's house. It was so cold in this place that you could hold your hand on anything and it still wouldn't melt.

Unfortunately, I have no idea what this was....I don't remember.

A cool stallion...not sure which fairy tale though.

Entrance to the Cinderella castle.

Cinderella, after she became a princess..not sure what's going on with the brassiere?? I don't remember that in my Cinderella stories.

The Big Bad Wolf dressed as Granny in Granny's bed.

Now to some Bremen town pics...check out the tram tracks. Bremen is known as the City of Trams. Almost the entire town gets around by tram. There are just a few streets that even allow cars. Hhhmmm??? What a concept.

The Bremen Train Station. It was huge!!! The inside is a mall. This building is a city block long.

The Bremen Town Hall.

Some cool buildings...most of them looked this cool.

This is a statue of monkeys....it took us awhile to figure that out....

The scary looking bird outside the beautiful cathedral in Bremen.

Erin & Carys posing with the horse, dog, cat and rooster that you see everywhere in Bremen. There is a Grimms Fairy Tale called the Bremen Town Musicians about this town....

The front of the cathedral. Pictures can't do this building justice.

Pic from the town center.

More of the town.


The cathedral.

This is a statue of Roland, the city's protector. It was built in 1404 (wow!). According to legend, Bremen will remain free and independent for as long as the Roland stands watching over the city. For this reason, it is alleged that a second Roland statue is kept hidden in the town hall's underground vaults, which can be quickly installed as a substitute, should the original fall.
0 comments:
Post a Comment